Friday, July 01, 2005

Ideas, Fears & Commitments

What to do with my fitness. I've got almost 3,000 miles in my legs this year and have done 9 cycling races. At 46 years old my conditioning just might be the best that it's ever been. But other than not being out-of-shape, so what?

Why not use the Tour de France as an opportunity to celebrate being alive?

It would be fun to take one of the tourist trips to France where you can cycle a section of the course each day and then watch the race go by while sipping fine French wine. Too late to do that this year.

How about riding the Tour distance each day? With a daily average distance of roughly 110 miles the time commitment is astounding, and I'm not sure it would be wise to subject my body (and mind) to those distances on a daily basis.

So here is my plan; ride 50% of the Tour mileage each day. Even 50% of the Tour distance is intimidating. It'll be 1116 miles in 21 stages, an average of 53 miles per day, every day. There are two 'rest days' so that helps.

I figure it's 50% of the distance but 100% of the effort. Here's what Tour riders get that I won't; teammates to draft behind, teammates to get food, water and clothing for me, a mechanic to take care of the bike, new bikes, wheels and parts as needed, chiropractors, doctors, podium girls and a masseuse. A chef to make customized meals, coaches to analyze my time on the bike and Cheryl Crow to sing me to sleep each night.

What I get is the support of my family, friends and Velocity teammates. And that should be enough.

In addition to talking about each days ride I hope to comment on equipment (what works and what doesn't), any brilliant ideas I might stumble upon and at least one thing of beauty I see during each day on the bike.

Should be an interesting journey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home