Saturday, July 15, 2006

Stage 13 - Road Dead Weasel

I tried to get out early enough to beat the oppressive heat but I failed. It was already hot at 8:00 AM so I planned my route to hit a convenience store or gas station every thirty miles. This took me north to West Bend, west to Hartford and south to Monches.

I'm trying every kind of 'sports drink' that I can find but they are all too sweet and leave my stomach gurgling. I mix it 50-50 with water to no avail. Do you have any suggestions? I suppose I could go with plain water but on a 3.5 hour ride I figure that I need some electrolyte replacement. Maybe french fries?

I have made a great discovery when it comes to 'energy bars'. I used to eat a lot of Powerbar Triple Threat bars. But they're a bit of a pain to get and I usually end up ordering them on-line where by the time I pay for shipping it comes out to about $1.28 per bar. And then you need to carry them around because not many, if any, filling stations will carry them. What filling stations do carry however, are Pearson's Salted Nut Rolls. "Now hold on there big fella", I hear you say, "That's a candy bar and no serious athlete would ever be caught eating junk like that". To which I respond with the following chart comparing a Powerbar with a Salted Nut Roll;

Powerbar Calories: 230 Fat (sat.): 8(4.5) Carbs: 30 Protein: 10 Sodium: 190
Nut Roll Calories: 240 Fat (sat.): 11(4) Carbs: 27 Protein: 8 Sodium: 170

Pretty neat, huh? I'm not sure if this means that the Powerbars are candy bars or the nut rolls are energy bars but I like the result. The going rate for the nut rolls is around $0.69 so not only is the salted nut roll on par as far as nutrition goes, it's half the price, it's available everywhere and drum roll please... It tastes better! And it's what got me through today's grueling stage.

nutroll_diamond

You may have seen the recent reports that suggest that chocolate milk is a better recovery drink than the expensive stuff like Endurox (see the news report HERE, and the study highlights HERE) and now you have a cheap and convenient alternative for your energy food too. Yet another reader service provided by ElvisKennedy.com!


CIMG0486 This is how I felt after 72 miles

I had my first flat of the Tour today. I always carry a spare inner tube and a little hand pump so I was able to do the repair roadside. But boy was it hot standing on the melting asphalt changing the tube!

I drank 32 ounces of water just before getting on the bike, 144 ounces of fluid on the bike and 48 ounces immediately upon finishing. That's almost two gallons and I still felt a little light-headed from dehydration. At least my pee is clear.

Today's Mileage Goal: 71.61. Miles Ridden: 72.

Labels: