Monday, July 25, 2005

Stage 21 - Erin

After three weeks of ups and downs I can't believe that the Tour de France journey is almost over. I actually feel a little depressed about it.

There was a heat advisory today with temperatures expected to reach 98 degrees. The wind was worse. Sustained winds of 21 mph with frequent gusts to 35 mph made this just about the most difficult ride of the three weeks.

I rode west into the wind so I could cruise home. I put in 44 miles and instead of counting the miles up I found myself counting them down. At about ten miles to go my heart was heavy with a mixture of joy and sadness. Honestly, I wish that it wasn't over.

I saved the last mile to share with my wife Peggy and daughters Emily and Kristin. We did our own glittering ride down the Champs Elysees (Rosewood Court). The trees overhanging the driveway served as the Arc de Triomphe. My family gave me a beautiful signed plaque to commemorate the completion of the Tour that I can hang on my office wall.

A number of you asked me some questions about my bike so I am including a picture of it here. It has served me well.

In the real Tour Lance finished his Lucky 7 and lots of people are wondering which of the Amereican riders will take Lance's place next year. Bobby Julich? Levi Leipheimer? Floyd Landis? George Hincapie?

I hate to break it to you but none of them will win. Bobby and George can be good on any given day, but not for 21 days. And they're getting old.

Levi and Floyd? You can't win without cahoneys and these two don't have a single one between them. Did you ever see them attack during the Tour? They are followers and while followers can finish in the top 10 they never win.

Ivan Basso attacks and can win. Alexandre Vinokourov attacks and can win. And there will be a small handful of others who can hope to win. But it'll be a long time before we see another American on top of the podium in Paris.

I'm really looking forward to next year's Tour. The field will be wide open and I expect an interesting and exciting race.

As for my plans for next year...it's too early to know. I had a great time this year and certainly won't rule out doing it again next year. I'd do a few things differently, like doing a better job avoiding saddle sores.

It would really be great if some of you decided to do it with me. Or if someone out there wants to drive behind in the "Team Car" (just like in the photo, below) so I don't have to stop in at every filling station to get water and Gatorade. Hey, a guy can dream can't he?

Thank-you all for stopping by. I plan at least one more entry regarding the Tour journey and then I hope to post something here at least once a week. Feel free to keep checking in.

2 Comments:

At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats man. Great journey and thanks for 3 great weeks of blog entries.

 
At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

surely you arent done posting such fine reading material?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home