Monday, April 17, 2006

New Colnago (Bike) Update

Here is a picture of all of the stuff that's going to go on the new Colnago frame to make it a usable bicycle;

kit500

For me the most nerve-racking part of building up a new bike is cutting the steerer tube to size. If done incorrectly a guy can end up with a very expensive piece of art. So I measure, measure again, repeat, do it all over a few more times and then put hacksaw to carbon.

Here are a few pictures of the process;

fork1

cut1

done

Fortunately the multitude of measurements and careful alignment and cutting worked out. I now have a custom sized fork. Step one, the hardest part, is complete. I've been avoiding this step and now that it's done maybe I can work in earnest on getting this thing put together.

Having a cool bike is one thing, being safe and surviving the battlefield of US roads is another. As yet another service to our dear readers I give you this link to a very useful article entitled, "How to Not Get Hit by Cars". Read it, share it with your children, I mean it.

Labels: