Monday, July 17, 2006

Rest Day #2 - And On The 17th Day He Rested

Going against the conventional wisdom that says you should ride your bike even on rest days I decided to spend the day getting some stuff done at work and then hanging with the family. Didn't even get on a bike. I ate and drank as much as I could too, in hopes of replenishing the fuel stores.

I also did two stretching sessions as well as 15 minutes with The Stick. I can recommend this device since it does a good job of working out the knots in your legs. To see some of it's uses go HERE.

My philosophy on stretching is simple; DO IT! It reduces pain and stiffness and can accelerate recovery. But you already knew that, didn't you? So why don't you stretch every day? To read why you should stretch go HERE. To read how you should stretch go HERE.

I also got around to washing both bikes. Interestingly, I found that the rear brake mechanism on the Colnago C-50 had loosened up so much it was all but falling off. This is a reminder to all of you cyclists out there; check your brakes, cables, handlebars, stems and wheel skewers at least once a week. As yet another reader service of Elvis Kennedy.com - you can download a quick and easy safety checklist by clicking on the Bike Safety Checklist tab on the left. Running down the checklist is a great thing to do with your kids before heading out on a ride. It will get them (and you) used to giving the bike a quick once-over before hopping on.

Since I didn't do much of anything I don't have much to say, so I'll leave you with some pictures that I took at a Superweek race last year.

bikeracebw copy





pawrace copy

Today's Mileage Goal: 0. Miles Ridden: 0.

Labels: