Monday, May 15, 2006

Muskego Criterium Race & Crash Report (Initial)

Major crash in yesterday's race. An unidentified rider took out Barry and Mike. Barry has some scrapes, bruises and a broken wheel. Mike has, get this, five, count 'em, five broken ribs and a broken collar bone. Spent a long and painful night in the hospital. I haven't had a chance to speak to him to get a complete report. I hope to sometime soon.

Barry was sitting third in the final sprint, just yards from the finish line, with Mike just behind, both on the right side of the road. It appears that two other riders on the left side bumped one another, sending one of them across the road and into Barry's rear wheel. Barry felt a strange tug and immediately hit the ground. He didn't see it coming. Mike was just behind Barry and when Barry hit the ground Mike hit Barry's bike and did a flip onto his back, breaking bones all the way.

Please understand that all of this is preliminary at this point. When Mike gets some strength back and I get a chance to speak with both Mike and Barry I hope to be able to provide complete and accurate details.

In the meantime, send positive thoughts, energy and vibes out to Mike who is undoubtedly in a lot of pain at this time.


From Darin, our only finisher, immediately after the race;

Yuck. Big pile up on the last step of the climb before the finish during the sprint. Barry got rammed in the rear wheel by some guy who bounced off of someone (we think), Barry went down and Mike slammed into Barry. Barry is OK, some road rash and he was getting pretty stiff by the time he left. We think that Mike broke his collarbone.

I finished 15th out of 43, not sure how high in my age class maybe 4th, 5th or 6th.

It drizzled and was VERY cold and wet the whole race. My thighs and hands were numb during the race and I shook uncontrollably for an hour after. I was under dressed for this, I just wore my knickers, I should of put tights on.

Official Results:

Darin 4th in category 15th overall

Labels: