Monday, June 19, 2006

Back Roads Time Trial Report

The First Annual Back Roads Time Trial billed itself as an Eddy Merckx-style race. This was supposed to mean that no fancy time trial specific bikes were to be allowed. Nor was any "aero" equipment to be allowed. Stuff like aero handlebars and disc wheels that give riders an aerodynamic advantage by minimizing the effects of wind. None of that stuff existed in Merckx's day.

merckx

Eddy "The Cannibal" Merckx for those of you who don't know, was the greatest cyclist of all time. And yes, that list would include Lance Armstrong, as you can read HERE.

In addition to dominating the sport of cyling during his entire career, he remained true to the sport. No physiological testing, no wind tunnels, no performance enhancing drugs and maybe most importantly, no whining and continually trying to keep his name in the news like a certain other cyclist named Lance Armstrong whom you may have heard about.

Eddy now spends his days promoting cycling and building fine bicycles. He also offers the best advice regarding training, "If you want to become a better cyclist, get on your bike and ride".

Race report from Darin;

The route was all rolling hills, and a lot of wind. All the turns were smooth and fast. I thought it was a great course. The race was promoted as an non areo race like the days of Eddy Merckx. I didn't know that Eddie had areo helmets and $1000 Hed three spoke front wheels, I must have missed that picture of him...

I had a 9:56 starting time and as usual they were 20 minutes behind from the start. The person ahead of me was a 14 year old girl and the person behind me was a Cat 1/2. So I planned it out the night before, if I don't pass the 14 year old girl I'm quitting racing and if the Cat 1/2 guy doesn't pass me I want a free upgrade. I did pass the 14 year old girl pretty quickly (it was just like Lance going by Jan last year in the TT, I felt very fast!) and the Cat 1/2 guy passed me about a mile past the half way mark so I was fine with that. Having never done a TT I planned on a designated heart rate and just keeping within a few beats so I didn't blow up. For the 9 mile TT I averaged 22.6 with a 23:45 time and I have no idea if that is any good or I should quit racing.

main3

Official Results;

Darin 6th in category, 15th overall

Editor's note: Darin, that's good, keep racing!

Labels: