Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Stage 15 - Don't Answer The Phone

My phone rings. I answer it. It's The Boss. He says, "Where are you?". I answer, "I'm at home. Where are you?". He says, "I'm in your driveway. Get your gear on. We're riding". And so it begins.

Yet another hot and windy day greet Barry and I as we roll out of my driveway. North to Grafton and Newburg. Then to Cheeseville (No, I'm not kidding), and then over to the West Bend area to climb in the hills of the Kettle Moraine. After running out of fluids we take the tailwind home.

CIMG0500 The Boss (don't let the smile fool you, he knows but one speed - fast)


The goofiest thing about spending all of this time on the bike is the tan line. From just above my knees down it's starting to look like I'm of a different nationality. And from that spot up I look sickly. Worse still; my hands are ghost white (from wearing cycling gloves) and my arms are dark brown. A friend suggested that it looked like I worked for the County; standing around outside all day with my hands in my pockets. I do get a lot of strange looks from people who don't understand.

By now the body has adjusted fairly well to all of the riding. I'm not eating as much as I should but my weight has settled in at about 162 pounds. Apparently that's the weight my body wants to maintain, whether I eat a little or a lot. I'm getting quality sleep, just not enough of it. And my stomach is still ultra sensitive to what I put in it. All it seems to be able to tolerate is bananas, bread, sliced turkey meat, peanut butter and yogurt. My legs are in a constant state of tight soreness. But I'm not going to complain. Things could be worse. Just look at this;


17I hope it's the medical car

Today's Mileage Goal: 57.97. Miles Ridden: 59.

Labels: