Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Stage 5 - Belgium

Today's route took me from Cedarburg, WI to Grafton, Port Washington, Belgium, Fredonia and finally to the shore of Lake Michigan at Cedar Grove.

The weather was lovely; 72 degrees with a stiff breeze off of Lake Michigan.

I've been fortunate with the weather so far. I expected heat and it's been mild.

I rode 62 miles while only needing 57. I've now got 46 extra miles in the bank and I'm sure that I'm going to need them.

My legs are tired and I'm having a difficult time getting a good night's sleep. I feel OK, I just can't sleep well. Maybe I'm low on minerals, maybe it's fatigue. If you have any ideas of what it might be, let me know.

My weight has not changed since this Tour thing started. It's probably too early for any physiological changes but I'll keep vigilant as fluid, food and nutrition are going to become more and more important as the three weeks progress.

Anyway, riding along Lake Michigan was spectacular today. The white caps where breaking through the diaphanous blue water along the shoreline and it looked like a real ocean. I could almost taste the salt.

For you history buffs, Fredonia, WI is the birthplace of Flag Day.

And for you finance guys, explain this to me; I stopped in at a Citgo filling station for water and Gatorade. Both came in 20 oz. bottles. The filtered water was $1.19, the filtered water with salt & sugar (Gatorade) was $0.99. Unless the water that was displaced by the salt & sugar costs more than the salt & sugar, I don't get it. I guess this highlights the perils of free enterprise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home