Sunday, July 10, 2005

Stage 9 - Switzerland

Today's ride was a pretty one. I rode a bit west and then headed north. I passed along Big Cedar Lake, Little Switzerland ski area, Kettle Moraine State Forest and Sunburst ski area.

Noting the two ski areas that I rode by you can guess, and you'd be right, that it was a hilly ride.

I actually feel better on the bike than I do off of it. After a few miles to get the legs loose I'm finding that I get into a zone. 130 bpm and 18-19 mph. I don't think, I don't feel, I just ride.

Someone once said that the aim of cycling is to reach a state of enlightenment whereby you and your velocipede become one. This is quite possibly a bunch of crap, but it works for me.

I did have a bad moment when half of my Powerbar fell from my hand. I was almost in tears over the lost food. I really need to figure out how to get some sleep.

While I'm feeling pretty good on the bike, off the bike I'm too tired to be useful, but too wired to take a nap.

Today's Tour de France stage was the second one in a row won by a rider on a Colnago bicycle. Colnago is known for making hand crafted, detail oriented and very expensive bikes. There's also a lot of hype.

I was lucky enough to find a used Colnago frame in great condition last Fall. When I first got it I was disappointed because I was expecting a major upgrade from my Specialized frame. But the more I rode it the more I came to appreciate it's qualities; smooth ride, exceptional handling, good power transfer and tracks like it's on rails. And because I no longer think about it, I know it works.

All of this riding has created another challenge; laundry. Riding at least once a day and often times twice means that all of my cycling clothes are pretty much always dirty. I need some honesty from anyone out there who rides a lot. Do you really wash your bike clothes after every ride? I know that it's recommended and I know that a person can risk getting saddle sores. Do you just ring them out in the sink or do you throw them in the washing machine?

Again, those lazy Tour riders let others take care of this challenge.

I needed 53 miles and I rode 60.

The best moment came early on as I was riding along Big Cedar Lake. There was apparently a regatta going on and the flotilla of sailboats would have been the beautiful moment of the day if not for one thing (three, actually). On a raft were three pretty girls in bikinis sunning themselves and enjoying a beverage. As I rode by one of them yelled, "Stop for a beer!" How does a guy not stop? Because you're a committed cyclist! Put your nose into the wind, put pressure on the pedals and hammer!

1 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

flotilla- what the hell is flotilla and where did you look that word up?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home