Monday, July 11, 2005

Rest Day #1

Thank goodness for rest days.

I actually slept well last night and felt good throughout the day. Maybe my body is finally adjusting.

It was a beautiful evening and I didn't want my legs to get stiff so I went for an easy 30 mile ride.

I changed my chain lubricant to White Lightning which claims to be the "Best selling" chain lubricant as well as having "No build up". I can't comment on the sales angle but the no build up line is a bunch of crap. I only get two rides and then I need to reapply the stuff. The cogs, the chain and the chainring all have a significant amount of wax build up after just one week and three applications. I guess I'll try something else.

The sun was setting, the sky was clear, the air was warm and then one of the top ten things to experience on a bike occurred. A tractor pulling a hay wagon pulled out in front of me about a quarter of a mile ahead. He was going about 25 mph so I raced up to the rear of the wagon and sat in the draft.

Bits of hay were drifting off of the wagon and the smell was wonderfully sweet. I know this sounds corny (note the country pun) but sitting in the draft of a tractor cruising down a country road on a summer evening is really fun. If you've done this you know what a treat it can be. If you haven't, I suggest that you spend some time in farmland and keep on the lookout for tractors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home